February 27, 2020 at 07:00PM
The Galion Historical Society Board of Directors has approved the following Veteran Banner Policy:
- 2018 Banners will hang two (2) seasons – 2018 & 2019
- 2019 Banners will hang two (2) seasons – 2019 & 2020
- 2020 Banners will hang two (2) seasons – 2020 & 2021
- After hanging for two (2) seasons, banners will be returned to sponsors.
- One Veteran Banner per sponsor (Ex: If you want to honor 3 veterans, 3 sponsors must)
- No Out-of-Town/State pre-orders. (These were given priority in 2018 and 2019)
Sponsor or representative will need to attend the registration. One sponsor per banner.
- PRE-REGISTRATION: Those sponsors who attended the 2019 registration, did not meet the 157 banner “limit,” AND who stayed and signed their name and phone number will be called to attend a pre-registration night (Thursday, February 20, 2020.) This honors our “first come, first served” philosophy. These banners (1 – 120) will hang in random order along Harding Way. Thank you for your patience. If you signed up for multiple banners, you need the same number of sponsors to attend. If you did not indicate a number of banners, you will only be able to register one (1) veteran at this event. You will receive a phone call (Week of July 22) to set your registration time. Above that, you would need to get in line February 27.
- REGISTRATION: Our registration night for 2020 banners has been set for Thursday, February 27 from 7:00 pm until 9:00 pm. Beginning at 7:00 pm, 64 Banner Packets will be distributed. Packets will be numbered and distributed in “first come, first served” order. The registration will take place at Historic Grace Church located at 130 W. Walnut Street. Parking is available behind the church, on the old Middle School Lot, on West Walnut and Union Streets, Harding Way, and the City Parking Lots. FYI: Last year, sponsors began lining up one and a half hours before registration time.
2018 Veteran Banners – 123 NEW Banners
2019 Veteran Banners – 157 NEW Banners + 123 from 2018 = 280
2020 Veteran Banners – 58 NEW Banners + 157 from 2019 = 338
459 Local Veterans recognized in 3 Years!!
Thank you, Mayor O’Leary and Line Department!
Veteran Banner FAQ
Frequently Asked Questions:
Who is eligible for a Veteran Banner?
The veteran must be a Galion graduate OR must have attended Galion High School OR must live/have lived in Galion.
Are current service men/women eligible?
We are not currently accepting current service men and woman for the project due to the overwhelming number of veteran requests.
How do I get a banner?
The Galion Historical Society is holding registration Thursday, February 27 from 7:00 pm – 9:00 pm. at Historic Grace Church located at 130 W. Walnut St. Galion, OH 44833.
I did not meet the banner limit last year and I signed my name and phone number to a list. What does that mean?
The Board of Directors unanimously decided to hold a pre-registration date (February 20) for those who did not meet the 2019 banner limit AND signed their name to the list. We will be calling everyone on the list who signed up for a banner to set up a registration time.
I was in line last year but did not sign a list. What do I do?
You will need to get in line and attend the registration event (February 27.)
Where can I park?
Parking is available behind the church, Union and Walnut Streets, Uptown City Parking Lots, and Harding Way and old Middle School kLot.
I cannot make the Registration date, what do I do?
Your only option is to find someone else to represent you at Registration.
One Banner per sponsor. No exceptions.
How many banners can I register?
One Banner per sponsor. No exceptions.
I live out of town or out of state. Can I still register a Veteran for a banner?
Yes, but you must find someone to represent you at the registration event.
Priority was given to out-of-town/state sponsors in 2018 and 2019.
What do I need to provide at registration?
A hard COPY photo (on photo paper, not regular copy paper) of the veteran in uniform and the $47.00 payment. Checks can be made payable to Photorama Studio. Please be prepared to fill out a form of the Veteran’s basic military info, such as war OR years served, and branch of service.
Can I pay with a credit card?
Yes, credit cards will be accepted at registration.
Will Galion Historical Society keep the photo?
Yes, the Galion Historical Society will keep the photograph you submit for our military archives and records. This is how we are expanding our town’s history! We ask that you submit a copy (on photo paper) of the original photo.
What size photo should I submit?
There are no specific size limitations for photos. Just remember, the better quality the photograph you submit, the better it will look when it’s enlarged on a 2’ x 4’ banner. (4”× 6” and 5” × 7” are desirable)
Why is there a fee?
The $47.00 fee is the cost of designing and printing the banner via Photorama Studios. The Galion Historical Society has worked hard to find funding through grants and donations to make sure the public is not paying the full cost of banner bracket hardware and installation/removal. Photorama will be designing and printing the banners again in 2020 and again they have steeply discounted this price for the project. The Galion Historical Society does not profit from the $47.00 fee.
How many banners are available this year?
There is enough space on the available decorative lamp posts (in good viewing vicinity) for 212 new banners in 2020. These are the only light posts we have permission to use.
Will banners made and hung in 2019 be included in the 2020 project?
Yes. To remain consistent, Banners will hang for two years and then banners will be returned to the sponsor.
Why did the 2018 banners hang for two (2) seasons?
We did not want to go back on our word. We told them they would; that was a part of the original plan.
What happens to banners after they hang for two (2) seasons?
Banners will be returned to the sponsors.
Can I have my banner included in another season?
No. We are working diligently to honor as many of our veterans as possible. Our current project is to hang banners of those veterans who have not yet been displayed.
Can I have a banner printed for my personal use?
That is between you and Craig Alguire of Photorama Studio. Photorama will print banners for your personal use after all Veteran Banner Project banners are hung. We will not be able to include your personal banner in our Veteran Banner Project.
Where will the banners hang in 2020?
The 2020 Banners will hang along Harding Way East and West lamp posts (2 per post) from Portland Way to East Street, and Public Square.
Where will the 2019 Banners be hung in 2020?
In 2020, the 157 Banners from 2019 will be hung in Heise Park and on Harding Way East. Where possible, Heise Park Banners will be hung 4 banners to each lamp post for a total of approximately 120 Banners. In Heise Park, most lamp posts are far enough from the street to make this possible. We will not infringe on the west end of Heise Park where sports’ banners are hung. The remaining 37 Banners (2019) will hang on Harding Way East.
Why can’t you hang 4 banners per lamp post uptown?
Lamp posts are too close to the street and too low. While a small car could park under the banner, anything higher would not be accommodated.
Is it possible to hang banners parallel to the street?
It is possible, but we chose not to do this. This would mean half of the banners could not be seen from the street. In addition, drivers would be required to turn their heads away from traffic to see the banners.
Will there be a recognition ceremony again this year?
Yes! All sponsors will receive an invitation to the Veteran Banner Recognition the night of registration with details for the event.
Can I pick where my banner hangs or request it to hang near another banner?
No. Our City Line Department graciously installs and un-installs banners for the Veteran Banner Project. The Galion Historical Society will not further complicate or lengthen the process of hanging banners for the Galion City Line Department as we strive to have the banners hung in time for Independence Day.
How long will banners hang?
The goal is for the banners to be hung by July 4. Banners will be hung in no particular order and no particular location. The KIA Veteran will be hung in the Public Square; other veteran Banners will fill remaining spots on Public Square. They will hang through Veterans’ Day in November.
How is it determined what information appears on the banners?
Each veteran must have one sponsor. It is the sponsor who determines, by information provided on the registration form, what information is printed on the banner. Information must follow registration guidelines.
Why were so many people not able to honor their loved one?
While we felt badly about turning so many people away, we have requirements to meet and simply ran out of the decorative lamp posts to hang banners. We ask for your patience as we work to meet all requests.
So, how many banners can be hung? (We are taking one year at a time.)
- 123 banners hung on Harding Way in 2018
- 123 banners from 2018 will hang in Heise Park & on HWE
- 157 New Banners will hang on HWE & HWW
- 280 banners hung in 2019
- 157 banners from 2019 will hang in Heise Park (120) & HWE (37)
- 212 New Banners will be hung on HWE & HWW
- 120 from pre-registration; 92 available at registration – Total New 212
- 369 banners hung in 2020
492 Total Local Veterans recognized in 3 years (123+157+212)