History of The Galion Historical Society

The Galion Historical Society was started in 1955 by six individuals – Faye Schalk, Juanita (Johnny) Williams, Mr. and Mrs. Walter Jasinski, and Helen and Dr. Bernard M. Mansfield – and the organization was chartered soon afterward.  The Society has had three homes in its 60 year history – South Boston Street, “Heritage Cottage” behind the Galion Public Library, and the four corners at the intersection of West Walnut and South Union Streets. The Society currently owns and maintains Brownella Cottage, the home of Bishop and Mrs. William Montgomery Brown (1887), together with the Bishop’s study – Galion’s second Catholic Church built circa 1865, the old Carriage House which now is the home of the Galion Historical Society Museum, as well as Historic Grace Church (1875) across the street.  The Galion Historical Society also owns the Koppe – Skinner House (circa 1855) on the southeast corner of West Walnut and South Union Streets, as well as the former Union School, Galion High School, and most recently, the Galion Middle School property, thanks to a generous donation from the Mr. James S. Rhodebeck family located at the same intersection.